• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Ryan

Ryan
  • 766 posts
  • Team: University at Albany
  • Event: 1500M/1600M

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

I've been running 8 years now, and not until about a month ago did I ever run with music. Now, I honestly can't imagine going. I bought an iPod Shuffle (the small one with the clip) and a pair of sports earbuds and it's awesome. It makes it way easier to get out the door and just run.

Ryan J. Scarpelli

Co-Founder & Web Developer

The Running Forum

Ryan[at]TheRunningForum.com

#22 Andrew Keresztes

Andrew Keresztes
  • 260 posts
  • Event: 1500M/1600M

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

Sometimes I do run with music but only if I am going on a run by myself and think I need it.  Usually I am running with someone (summer is a bit different) so we can talk, or I run through a woodsy area and enjoy the nature sounds

• thecyclops likes this

#23 sangoku116

sangoku116
  • 13 posts
  • Team: Pères Maristes
  • Event: 400M

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

I sometimes run with music. I just bought some special headphones for running and with them I can hear every sound and feel safe. :)

• thecyclops likes this

#24 John

John
  • 9 posts
  • Event: 5,000M (Road)

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

My 2 cents for what it's worth:

I typically will wear my headphones during shorter runs (less than ~5 miles) during the day. For safety reason I don't sport the headphones at night. Occasionally I will play music through my iPhone speakers especially when running at night, running with the stroller, or with the doggies. I always wear my headphones on treadmills to help pass the time. I used to always run with music, but I found that during longer runs or when running through particularly scenic areas, I end up taking off the headphones and enjoying my thoughts and nature. I ran a 25K trail run and loved not having music.

Last thought. Sometimes my "pumped up" playlist really pushes me to run harder. This can be either good or bad, depending on your run. When I'm supposed to be running slower and Clutch, Brother Ali, or the rest of the bands that comprise my "get that heart rate up" playlist start, I end up running too fast. But during a race, Rage Against the Machine, Jurassic 5, or Atmosphere can give me that extra kick I need. And I'm sure I look silly mouthing the lyrics to "Testify," but I don't care!

• crisp and Steve like this

#25 anbu

anbu
  • 102 posts
  • Event: Recreational

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

During my c25k program I run with music.  Now I just listen to the news on the radio.  I know it's weird.  lol.  

• Andrew Keresztes and crisp like this

#26 cshunter

cshunter
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:21 AM

I perfer running with music. It is a good distraction and help keep me motivated.

All tho due to rules, I mostly run with out music. I can only have headphones on if I am in a gym or on a closed track.

There is no closed track here :(

I get a high just thinking about running.

Pardon my engrish...

#27 cshunter

cshunter
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Here is an article and how music affects us when we work out.

http://www.scientifi...y-workout-musichttp://www.scientifi...y-workout-music

• Brianna, Gavin and Skip like this

I get a high just thinking about running.

Pardon my engrish...

#28 Peter G

Peter G
  • 54 posts
  • Team: NRC, GLIRC
  • Event: 10,000M Road

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

I always do training runs with music, but never use music during a race.

#29 BeardedRunner

BeardedRunner
  • 20 posts
  • Event: Ultra Marathon

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:59 AM

You would think I listen to music while i run because when I am home I always have either the radio or Spotify blaring something (usually the Doors or other classic rock) no matter what I'm doing. But I can't stand how it feels keeping the earbuds in while I run. I feel like they are always going to fall out and even when they don't, I feel as though I'm shutting myself out from all the outdoors has to offer, mine as well be in the treadmill watching a sporting event to REALLY take your mind out of the equation.

It may sound corny but, nature is the best soundtrack for running.

Edited by BeardedRunner, 27 June 2013 - 06:00 AM.

Marathon Maniacs: Completed

50 States Club: 5/50

**Looking for anyone possibly interested in the Ultra option of a Ragnar relay.**

#30 Skip

Skip
  • 386 posts
  • Team: #TeamCooper

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

I hate...HATE...ear buds! I don't like anything stuck in my ears. I like the old school headphones that sit on your ear. They are a pain to store when not running, but much more comfortable, and safer, when running.

I can't imagine doing anything without music, especially running. I don't know how I will do future road races that ban music players.

Skip Cooper © 1975

Also on Twitter and Facebook and Strava

"Be strong and courageous." - Deuteronomy 31:6 (ESV)

#TeamCooper

Posted Image

#31 fatduderunning

fatduderunning
  • 22 posts
  • Event: None Yet!

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

I can run without music, but I like to because in my playlist I have several particularly motivating songs that just pump me up and give me a second wind, even if it only last for a few minutes.  In the case of the mud/obtacle 10K I did on Sunday, I couldn't race with music because I'd destroy my phone going through the mud pit and other obstacles.  I did a lot better than I thought I would without the music, so I may start running sans music every now and then.

#32 Steve

Steve
  • 481 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

I hadn't run with music in about 2 months prior to last night, but for some reason just felt like running to some hard rock (which is especially weird since I prefer acoustic, folk, or in general mellower music). It was really motivating and I ran about 10 seconds faster per mile than I have been lately. I still enjoy a relaxing run where I enjoy the scenery and get lost in my thoughts, though. So I guess from here on out it'll just depend on my mood.

“You don't stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running.” ~Christopher McDougall, Born to Run

#33 Adub

Adub
  • 428 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:33 AM

I've ran at night these last 2 days so I left the music at home. It wasn't bad at all so ive decided to run my 4th of july 5k without music.
GOAL: 21:00 5k

#34 angel0430

angel0430
  • 148 posts
  • Team: RFB Tampa

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

I use to run with music. I have been running with no music for a while now and I am used to it. I miss it every now and then but nothing that would make me go crazy.

• Steve likes this

#35 Kaelea Majere

Kaelea Majere
  • 15 posts
  • Event: None Yet!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

Can't run without it! I have a pair of Bose sport I use, and they're wonderful! They sit on top of the ear so I can hear what needs to be heard to stay safe. They're pricey but worth it.

#36 katfishkoopa

katfishkoopa
  • 427 posts
  • Event: Half Marathon

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

Here is an article and how music affects us when we work out.

http://www.scientifi...y-workout-musichttp://www.scientifi...y-workout-music

very cool article!!!  

• cshunter and Skip like this

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring"

Twitter: @KerstinAhrens  

#37 tabitharuns26.2

tabitharuns26.2
  • 75 posts
  • Event: Marathon

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:31 AM

I run long with music. I tie my headphones around my tank top strap and turn the music all the way up so I can still be aware but also hear something to keep me going. I don't any other time though.
  • Brianna likes this

"Running is a mental sport and we are all insane"

#38 Nwilson90

Nwilson90
  • 8 posts
  • Event: 3000M/3200M

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

I used to never run with music now I find it to help me stay focused and not stop as soon. And for those that can't find earbud style headphones that stay in I like http://store.sony.co.../p/MDRAS200/ORG the band is soft like a jelly bracelet. I won't use anything but the loop style ear buds to workout now.

#39 Samranabq

Samranabq
  • 441 posts
  • Event: Half Marathon

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:03 AM

With music absolutely,love my smooth jazz
For every uphill,there's a downhill.For every headwind,there's a tailwind!Life is short appreciate it every day.

#40 mubaracus

mubaracus
  • 14 posts
  • Team: P-Way!
  • Event: 800M

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:28 AM

Its honestly kind of crazy once you start running with music it's very difficult to resist the urge to run (or really do any kind of fitness task) without them! My coach would definitely never let us run with our headphones on lol. I feel like when you run with music in your ears it makes the whole run a lot more relaxing which is good! However when your not using music you start to pay more attention to the little things like how long your stride is, the pace your running at, your breathing, and everything else. So if your really looking for a PR on that 25k or a workout I would leave the music at home.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: running, music

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Donate towards my web hosting bill!