Major updates are coming to TRF!

Check it out and give us feedback: http://www.therunningforum.com/index.php/topic/1587-major-updates-coming-soon-to-trf/

Photo

TUMS for lactic acid????

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thecyclops

thecyclops
  • 347 posts
  • Team: Team Krop
  • Event: Half Marathon

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

Anyone ever heard of this? My running partner does this (I havent tried it yet) and I googled it,and indeed some runners/athletes do this.Popping a few of them before extended periods of high intensity exercise.

Thoughts?

#2 catalano98

catalano98
  • 213 posts
  • Team: Valley Stream North
  • Event: 5,000M (Road)

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

I have never heard this before. Do you know if your running partner thinks that this works?

Follow me on twitter: @JakeCatalano

#3 Ryan

Ryan
  • 766 posts
  • Team: University at Albany
  • Event: 1500M/1600M

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

Wow, I guess you really do learn something every day. I did some research and it seems that taking TUMS really does help decrease lactic acid.

Here's an excerpt from an article on the University of Washington's webpage, originally from Runner's World:

Q.   I heard that taking Tums before a race can improve my performance. Is this true?

A.   Your question is based on the theory that lactic acid causes fatigue and that counteracting the lactic acid should therefore delay fatigue and enhance performance. Many (though not all) exercise scientists accept this theory as valid for events lasting from two minutes to an hour or more. Supporting evidence comes in part from numerous studies (Matson & Tran, International Journal of Sport Nutrition 3: 2-28, 1993; McNaughton et al., European Journal of Applied Physiology 80: 64-9, 1999) in which runners or cyclists have improved their times by ingesting buffers (substances that prevent the blood from becoming too acidic).

Source: http://faculty.washi...BC/QandA6.shtml

---

I think I might just try this next time I run the 1000M or Mile!

• catalano98 and Andrew Keresztes like this

Ryan J. Scarpelli

Co-Founder & Web Developer

The Running Forum

Ryan[at]TheRunningForum.com

#4 Brianna

Brianna
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

Crazy! Would have never thought of this!

Run.Discuss.Sleep.REPEAT.

Follow Me @SeeBriRun

The Running Forum

#5 thecyclops

thecyclops
  • 347 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

I know,sounds crazy huh? Yes I seen him discretely pop a tums under his tongue at about mile 3 of 11 on a run recently and we discussed it.I thought "makes sense",but after a little research,seems that folks seem to think it works and has had success with it.

Im gonna try next time on my long runs,or before one of my INSANITY workouts. 

• Brianna and catalano98 like this

#6 Ryan

Ryan
  • 766 posts
  • Team: University at Albany
  • Event: 1500M/1600M

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

Looks like I'm going to take a few antacids before my next race :P .

• Brianna likes this

Ryan J. Scarpelli

Co-Founder & Web Developer

The Running Forum

Ryan[at]TheRunningForum.com

#7 Adub

Adub
  • 428 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:48 AM

Sorry for reviving an old thread... Ive never heard of popping tums but I know sodium bicarbonate works. I was a kinesiology major in college and I volunteered for almost every exercise physiology lab. One of them involved me drinking 20 tea spoons of bakeing soda before pushing to my limit. The studies usually lasted a month or so but the data from my blood test showed less lactic acid on the days I drank the baking soda. I wouldnt recommend doing this for any run over 10k due to the strain it puts on your stomach.
  • Brianna and thecyclops like this
GOAL: 21:00 5k

#8 thecyclops

thecyclops
  • 347 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:37 AM

Sorry for reviving an old thread... Ive never heard of popping tums but I know sodium bicarbonate works. I was a kinesiology major in college and I volunteered for almost every exercise physiology lab. One of them involved me drinking 20 tea spoons of bakeing soda before pushing to my limit. The studies usually lasted a month or so but the data from my blood test showed less lactic acid on the days I drank the baking soda. I wouldnt recommend doing this for any run over 10k due to the strain it puts on your stomach.

Dont be sorry...Especially if its my thread!!!!

• Brianna and Skip like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Donate towards my web hosting bill!