Warning: Illegal string offset 'members_seo_name' in /home/therf6/therunningforum.com/admin/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(3837) : eval()'d code on line 12

Warning: Illegal string offset 'members_seo_name' in /home/therf6/therunningforum.com/admin/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(3837) : eval()'d code on line 12

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/therf6/therunningforum.com/admin/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(3837) : eval()'d code:12) in /home/therf6/therunningforum.com/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 110

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/therf6/therunningforum.com/admin/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(3837) : eval()'d code:12) in /home/therf6/therunningforum.com/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/therf6/therunningforum.com/admin/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(3837) : eval()'d code:12) in /home/therf6/therunningforum.com/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/therf6/therunningforum.com/admin/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(3837) : eval()'d code:12) in /home/therf6/therunningforum.com/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/therf6/therunningforum.com/admin/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(3837) : eval()'d code:12) in /home/therf6/therunningforum.com/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Cycling - Swimming, Cycling, & Cross Training - The Running Forum

Major updates are coming to TRF!

Check it out and give us feedback: http://www.therunningforum.com/index.php/topic/1587-major-updates-coming-soon-to-trf/

Photo

Cycling

Cycling

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 catalano98

catalano98
  • 213 posts
  • Team: Valley Stream North
  • Event: 5,000M (Road)

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

I am looking to start cycling for cross-training in addition to running. I'm going to do it twice a week (weekends) because that is the only time I can do it. How long should I go for it to be useful to my training? Is there a minimum amount of mile/ minutes I should do in a session? 

Follow me on twitter: @JakeCatalano

#2 Brianna

Brianna
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

I am looking to start cycling for cross-training in addition to running. I'm going to do it twice a week (weekends) because that is the only time I can do it. How long should I go for it to be useful to my training? Is there a minimum amount of mile/ minutes I should do in a session? 

I have never done cycling as XT but I've used spin classes.  With the warmer weather rolling in I've been thinking about doing some cycling as well! Looking forward to seeing what people have to say about this.

• catalano98 likes this

Run.Discuss.Sleep.REPEAT.

Follow Me @SeeBriRun

The Running Forum

#3 catalano98

catalano98
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:19 AM

I rode 53:30 today, not sure how many miles I did but I kept going around a hilly loop.

#4 Jbones

Jbones
  • 465 posts
  • Event: Recreational

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

1st. What kind of bike did you get?

2nd. Is there a certain goal your looking to get out of cycling or just enjoying another way of training as well and wanting to build on it?

Twitter: @jbonesky

Everyone Has Fear.. It's Those Who Push Past It That Experience Greatness!

5K: PR 27:24 / Goal 25:00

#5 catalano98

catalano98
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:38 AM

1st. What kind of bike did you get?
2nd. Is there a certain goal your looking to get out of cycling or just enjoying another way of training as well and wanting to build on it?

1) I don't really know. Just a regular Schwinn
2) I want to use cycling to help my training for running.

#6 TheVespa

TheVespa
  • 255 posts
  • Event: Half Marathon

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:51 AM

to training for trail running, cycling can be usefull, I love use it once or twice a week during the week end! I usually cover at least 70/80km (starting from my home and going to the mountains) with a considerable altitude gap, to train my quads for the uphill running ;) this is my only way to training for trail when I stay in my city.

My cycling traing takes normally 3 hours.

but for running at the level ground, I don't know if cycling can be useful... surely I don't think can be usefull cycling uphill! for experience, it make your leg bigger and reduce your running speed... but for me it doesn't matter!  :lol:

"Be patient with yourself: the trail you run on was not built in a day."

Add me on Facebook! => Andrea Venturini

and Twitter => Ventu_Ius
=)

#7 Jbones

Jbones
  • 465 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

Cycling can certainly help with your running, flat ground as well. I say this with confidence because I had not run at all this year and brought my 2 mile run (track) from 16:50ish in Feb -15:10 last weekend by cycling and circuit training alone. As a newbie I dont know much about running.. But I do understand that while the leg muscles used are different cardio comes down to blood and air flow. I would suggest some sprinting/hills instead of easy long distance strolls..

Twitter: @jbonesky

Everyone Has Fear.. It's Those Who Push Past It That Experience Greatness!

5K: PR 27:24 / Goal 25:00

#8 Craptacular8

Craptacular8
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:55 PM

ok, know I"m resurrecting a pretty old thread.  I started doing some biking last year, mostly for fun.  I wasn't able to do it regular enough to consider it "cross training," though when I did go out (best case 1x per week) I typically did bike 30 miles or so, constant revolutions, heart rate similar to my typical training run.  I've biked similar this summer, did a 40 mile ride Saturday, though I know I'm riding harder this year, and I'm feeling it.  I intended to run last night, but my legs were still beat....I don't know if I'm a weenie, and I should have pushed through it, or if this is one of those "listed to your body" moments....I'll run tonight, lol.

I'd like to make this a regular cross training thing, which will mean purchasing an exercise bike, as I have to haul my bike every time I want to ride, and the days are already too short to make that a viable solution year-round.  For those that do bike for cross training, should I mostly be going to similar workout times as I run (I typically run for 40-60 minutes)?  Since I've had some PF issues for the past year, I was kind of thinking about just alternating run and biking days, will this hurt my running, or simply be more like maintenance?  As in, will my run times be able to improve with this kind of training plan, or do they just stay where they are?

#9 katfishkoopa

katfishkoopa
  • 427 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:06 PM

in my experience, it really helped my running times.  i was kind of alternating every other day running and biking.  i noticed that getting some quick days in on the bike really helped my speed with running but obviously not my endurance.  i originally started biking because of an injury and was trying back off of running.  i ended up liking the bike so much i just continued.  good luck!

• Craptacular8 likes this

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring"

Twitter: @KerstinAhrens  

#10 Craptacular8

Craptacular8
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:35 PM

in my experience, it really helped my running times.  i was kind of alternating every other day running and biking.  i noticed that getting some quick days in on the bike really helped my speed with running but obviously not my endurance.  i originally started biking because of an injury and was trying back off of running.  i ended up liking the bike so much i just continued.  good luck!

Thanks so much for the response.  I was hoping you'd weigh in on this since I knew you were doing both (or maybe you were training for a tri?).  I think I've about maxed out what my hybrid bike can do, I just don't have enough hand positions to shake things up to stay comfortable on my longer rides like saturday, plus, with a nice head wind each direction, it would be nice to be able to be a little more aerodynamic.  My only reservation with going to a straight road bike is the neck pain from trying to look up....I already have that with my current bike?

#11 katfishkoopa

katfishkoopa
  • 427 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:03 PM

Thanks so much for the response.  I was hoping you'd weigh in on this since I knew you were doing both (or maybe you were training for a tri?).  I think I've about maxed out what my hybrid bike can do, I just don't have enough hand positions to shake things up to stay comfortable on my longer rides like saturday, plus, with a nice head wind each direction, it would be nice to be able to be a little more aerodynamic.  My only reservation with going to a straight road bike is the neck pain from trying to look up....I already have that with my current bike?

i understand your concerns about the neck pain, i guess that was something i just got used to haha.  it's not so bad with the longer slower rides, but the quick ones down in the aero position kind of suck.  it does get better the longer you do it though!  let me know if you end up getting a road bike!

Edited by katfishkoopa, 21 October 2014 - 09:04 PM.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring"

Twitter: @KerstinAhrens  

#12 Prifead

Prifead
  • 11 posts
  • Event: 100M

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

Cycling exercise is easier on our joints, compare  to running or other workout activities. Cycling still helps me get into shape and I love doing it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cycling

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Donate towards my web hosting bill!