• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Iridescent

Iridescent
  • 1 posts
  • Event: Marathon

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:48 AM

Greetings,

I'm just about to start prioritising running instead of lifting, as I'm planning to run my first marathon in less than 4 hours in May (more than 6 months away). Now that I'm about to make my training plan, I'm trying to figure out what sort of strength/resistance training I should do and how often.

My legs are fairly strong - I currently squat 125% and deadlift 180% of my (low female) body weight. I understand that I should not prioritise to go to the gym 4-5 times every week (as I currently do) when training for a marathon, and I know that I'll loose some of my strength when I start to do more and faster running.

I still hope to do what I can to loose as little (especially leg) muscle as possible, but my main priority will be to reach my time goal for the marathon.

I've tried to ask Google, but it seems as if most advice are for the people who have been primarily running for many years and done little or no strength training. I've primarily been going to the gym, although I've also made time to run (slowly) for fun 2-3 times per week (typically 5 km to 10 km) over the last few years. Should I just follow the advice Google gives and limit myself to 2 not-too-heavy strength sessions per week, or can I do more and/or harder strength sessions since I already have developed a decent strength foundation?

Thanks so much! And feel free to give me any other advice about what to focus on when developing my training plan.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Strength, resistance, marathon, training

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Donate towards my web hosting bill!