Major updates are coming to TRF!

Check it out and give us feedback: http://www.therunningforum.com/index.php/topic/1587-major-updates-coming-soon-to-trf/

Photo

Constant severe calf cramps

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CulrossJ

CulrossJ
  • 1 posts
  • Event: Recreational

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:57 PM

Hello, I am looking for some assistance on my calf cramps. It's something that has happened my entire life and has gotten worse especially when I run or workout. I am in a police academy where we have intense cardio workouts 3 days a week and are expected to workout everyday on top of it. Since the beginning I have been having issues with my left calf and occasionally my right or both cramping and impeding my ability to keep up with the group. We typically run a lap around the track at 55 seconds which leads to about an 8 minute mile. I have tried the following:
• Stretching
• Magnesium, potassium, and calcium supplements
• Foam rolling
• Glutamine
• Protein
• BCAAs
• Running on my heels
• Running on my toes
• Drinking over 100 oz of water a day
• Overnight oats prior to our academy workouts
• Half a bottle of Gatorade prior to our academy workouts
• Not running outside of our academy workouts
• Running a mile multiple days outside of our academy workouts
The cramps have improved slightly but not gone away completely. Is there something I am missing or haven't tried? I would appreciate any and all advice! Thank you!

#2 trackbunny

trackbunny
  • 5 posts
  • Event: 400M

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:06 AM

Does the pain go away or reduce later in the workout? when does it occur? it could be a rush or build up of lactic acid from your body processing sugars during exercise. also, try doing a longer warm up before your workout. improved circulation will help oxygen get to the muscles ( not enough oxygen to muscles is a major reason for cramping). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Donate towards my web hosting bill!