Major updates are coming to TRF!

Check it out and give us feedback: http://www.therunningforum.com/index.php/topic/1587-major-updates-coming-soon-to-trf/

Photo

energy gels for longer distance?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ReillyRunner

ReillyRunner
  • 1 posts
  • Event: Recreational

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:36 AM

I want to increase my long run mileage from 10km to 15km. I have never used energy gels but I have been told that I should be taking them.

I usually carry a small bottle of water and try not to eat before running, sometimes i might have a small piece of fruit an hour before I go.

Should I use energy gels or not?

#2 galerunz

galerunz
  • 6 posts
  • Event: Ultra Marathon

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

For those distances, you really don't need gels. Once you get closer to the half marathon distance, it's probably a good idea. When I was strictly a road runner, I didn't realize the value of fueling my body before/during runs. I thought I was amazing because I could do a half marathon without eating before or during the run. I didn't realize, until I became a trail runner, the disservice I was doing to my body and to my runs. A car can't run without gas and a body can't perform, optimally, without fuel either. At the very least, I use a handheld water bottle with electrolyte powder, which is generally about 200 calories per bottle. Ultra runners try to take in about 300 calories per hour. As a road runner, you don't need that many calories, but by taking "some" in, you will be better fueled and will feel better.

This may have been overload for the question, but it's just my opinion and what works for me. :P

• ReillyRunner likes this

#3 Ranting Runner

Ranting Runner
  • 5 posts
  • Event: Ultra Marathon

Posted 28 September 2015 - 01:13 AM

I am not a big believer in packaged gels for any distance, but my answer applies to all sources of energy during running.

At those distances what you eat before you run is what's important and I don't mean right before. A good general diet or at least a good meal in the hours before you run is where your usable energy will mostly come from. Unless it takes you an incredibly long time to run 15k, your run would be over before your body could do anything with what you consumed at the beginning or during your run. At 15k you don't even need to drink water during your run unless the temperature is really up there. Just take it easy as you ramp up from 10 to 15k and give you body time to adjust.

• ReillyRunner likes this

Ranting Runner Vlog:  https://www.youtube....ELN761sMeiBaNpQ

While you are there, check out Secrets of Running videos.

#4 Flags4Fallen

Flags4Fallen
  • 8 posts
  • Team: Flags 4 Fallen
  • Event: Marathon

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:24 AM

GU labs energy gels are great

#5 Prifead

Prifead
  • 11 posts
  • Event: 100M

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:10 AM