heart rate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bhaago

bhaago
  • 1 posts
  • Event: None Yet!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:23 AM

I am a 33 year old guy, and have just started running. I have led a very lethargic life style still now. So expectedly I get tired easily. However, what concerns me is the extremely high  level that my heart rate goes up to! Within 80-90 seconds of running at 5 Miles/hour, heart rate shoots up to 182-185! By 2 minutes mark, it touches 200, and I have to stop/slow down.

Same thing happenned last year, when I started training with a personal trainer. My trainer had to stop me (At that time, it had actually shot up to 215, as we were not measuring heart rate at start of running), and she suggested that I get a heart check up before any physical exercise. I did get a thourough check up and the doc did not find anything unusual.

Has anyone experienced such high heart rates as a beginner? Can I expect this to come down as I continue running?

#2 Kage

Kage
  • 18 posts
  • Event: 1500M/1600M

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

I went to the doctors today who said not to trust standard heart rate monitors.

On my mile run the other day, my heart apparently reached 206.

It would improve over time yes

-Push to maximize your potential-

#3 2Noob4U

2Noob4U
  • 4 posts
  • Team: Brookville
  • Event: Marathon

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:09 AM

I'm 33 and started running again. My heart rate during races will almost always hit 200 BPM. I'm 5'10" 148 lbs and by all rights pretty healthy. There is a couple of formulas to calculate your Max HR. In my experience they are pretty inaccurate for me and patients. At best this is a guesstimate. Best way to know your Max HR is to have a VO2 Max test done on a treadmill. I think hospitals usually charge about $50 to do them.

As far as the accuracy of your HR monitor... If you wet them prior to running so that the electrodes have good conduction with your skin and they are worn properly (Just over the xiphoid process) they are generally very accurate. I have a Polar HR monitor with my Sport watch that is pretty spot on with my Pulseoximeter. If you want to run up a hill and count every beat for a minute that would be the most accurate... I'm just too lazy to do that. Just my 2 cents.

#4 weez1959

weez1959
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:40 AM

I'm wondering the same thing, I'm in the same boat as the original poster :P

Louise  :D

#5 BroKV

BroKV
  • 52 posts
  • Event: 5,000M (Road)

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:42 AM

Heart rate can be difficult to hammer down, too much variability.

I have a Garmin Fenix 2 with HRM that I have been using since April and some things to think about.

1.  Ambient temperate can really play games with your heart rate - Lower Temp/Lower HR and Higher Temp/Higher HR

2.  Nutrition, lack of it especially can cause it to run up (my calorie intake over a couple days was really low and during a run I couldn't slow my HR without completely stopping)

I'd start with run/walk activities and over time increase the time you run until you're running longer.

Also, my coach teaches "PATIENTS".  This was/is the hardest for me, but over time I'm seeing the benefits.  Every run cannot be faster than the one yesterday, injuries happen that way.

#6 weez1959

weez1959
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:31 AM

I'm being patient but I've been at it since July 2nd, not sure if that's a long time or if I'm progressing at the proper rate. I'm going to try and slow my running some more an see what happens  :unsure:

Louise  :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: heart rate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Donate towards my web hosting bill!