Major updates are coming to TRF!

Check it out and give us feedback: http://www.therunningforum.com/index.php/topic/1587-major-updates-coming-soon-to-trf/

Photo

What Running Watch Do You Wear?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan

Ryan
  • 766 posts
  • Team: University at Albany
  • Event: 1500M/1600M

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

I have been wearing by Garmin Forerunner 610 for quite a long time now. It's... alright. I've had to reset it quite a bit, and I've had some glitches with the software on the watch. I don't really upload workouts at all I just use it to see how far I have gone and at what pace. I like it, but I'm not crazy about it. Here's some info on it:

Attached File  GF610HRM-1.jpg   19.75KB   1 downloads

http://www.runningwa...e-GF610HRM.html

What watch do you wear?

Ryan J. Scarpelli

Co-Founder & Web Developer

The Running Forum

Ryan[at]TheRunningForum.com

#2 Justinbritton

Justinbritton
  • 247 posts
  • Team: Sacred Heart Univ
  • Event: 5,000M (Track)

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

I've worked at a bunch of different running camps, so I just pick up on some free swag here and there.  I've been wearing two Women's NIke watches for a few years.  Nothing crazy, just the usual watch, I like the Women's one better because its smaller and lightweight.  

Been debating about buying the Nike Plus Sports watch, but not sure that I really want to drop heavy cash on a watch.  

• Ryan and Brianna like this
@Justin_Britton twitter

#3 Ryan

Ryan
  • 766 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:56 AM

I've worked at a bunch of different running camps, so I just pick up on some free swag here and there.  I've been wearing two Women's NIke watches for a few years.  Nothing crazy, just the usual watch, I like the Women's one better because its smaller and lightweight.  

Been debating about buying the Nike Plus Sports watch, but not sure that I really want to drop heavy cash on a watch.  

That's sick! What camps have you worked at?

I think Gavin has the Nike Plus watch, you should ask him about it.

• Justinbritton likes this

Ryan J. Scarpelli

The Running Forum

#4 catalano98

catalano98
  • 213 posts
  • Team: Valley Stream North
  • Event: 5,000M (Road)

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

I have the Nike+ Sports Watch. It's pretty reliable but I'm not sure about how accurate the GPS is though.

Follow me on twitter: @JakeCatalano

#5 Brianna

Brianna
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

I'm not a huge fan of wearing a watch when I run b/c I'm constantly staring at it... BUT I do love my Garmin 410 when I decided to wear one :)

Attached Files

Run.Discuss.Sleep.REPEAT.

Follow Me @SeeBriRun

The Running Forum

#6 Gavin

Gavin
  • 771 posts
  • Team: Hartwick College
  • Event: Half Marathon

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

I have the Nike+ GPS Sportwatch. It's pretty reliable except in the trails... but I don't think any GPS watch is really too reliable in the trails.

• Brianna likes this

TRF's Community Manager

New to TRF? Introduce yourself in Member Introductions

and check out my "Where Should I Post?" thread.

Connect with me on AthlinksDailyMile and Twitter!

#7 Ryan

Ryan
  • 766 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:48 AM

Nike seems to be pretty popular! What features does it have? I don't know much about it but the Nike+ community looks awesome! I might buy it as my next watch.

Ryan J. Scarpelli

The Running Forum

#8 Gavin

Gavin
  • 771 posts
  • Team: Hartwick College

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

Nike seems to be pretty popular! What features does it have? I don't know much about it but the Nike+ community looks awesome! I might buy it as my next watch.

I actually wrote a review on the Nike+ watch that's about 1,000 words long so if anyone wants a more detailed explanation, you can view my review here.

But basically it functions as a stopwatch, you can record heart rate as well, and in-run it tracks distance, time elapsed, "laps" (1 mile or whatever you want to set it as),  HR, clock, average pace (overall for the run), and instant pace. You can also pause and continue very easily on it. The battery life is about 2 weeks for me, but I plug it into my computer everyday, which is recommended so that it updates satellites and other downloadable content. 

The Nike+ Community isn't great - as in there is not much of a community. But plugging the watch into your computer uploads all of your run data and is put together nicely for you to view your progress on the Nike+ website. You can look at your week, month, year, etc. and view your longest run, fastest mile, 5K, 10K and your total distance. There are also "levels" in which you advance through and "points" that you earn for running longer and faster.

Overall it's been a really cool experience having the Nike+ watch - even if it's not the best in the trails.

TRF's Community Manager

New to TRF? Introduce yourself in Member Introductions

and check out my "Where Should I Post?" thread.

Connect with me on AthlinksDailyMile and Twitter!

#9 Runnersphere

Runnersphere
  • 20 posts
  • Team: High School XC/Track

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

I've had the Nike GPS watch since end of 2012 and already have 150+ miles of hard training on it. It's pretty sweet in my opinion. But yea some days it doesn't even pick up signal which sucks. But overall, I love it
•Follow me on twitter @Runnersphere •

#10 Brianna

Brianna
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

I've had the Nike GPS watch since end of 2012 and already have 150+ miles of hard training on it. It's pretty sweet in my opinion. But yea some days it doesn't even pick up signal which sucks. But overall, I love it

I would go nuts if it didn't pick up a signal!

Follow Me @SeeBriRun

The Running Forum

#11 Andrew Keresztes

Andrew Keresztes
  • 260 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

I have the Nike+ sportwatch and it's been pretty accurate for me.  It isn't too heavy and looks pretty sleek (the black/anthracite model, and I think the white one looks nice). I have had minimal problems with it, except that mine may have a crack somewhere that causes the screen to fog up when the weather is especially cold.

#12 Justinbritton

Justinbritton
  • 247 posts
  • Team: Sacred Heart Univ
  • Event: 5,000M (Track)

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

Totally forgot to reply, but I've worked at 5 Star XC Camp in NY for a few summers and I've also worked at F.I.R.S.T. XC Camp in South Carolina, at Furman University.  Nike and New Balance camp, variety in gear.  ;)

@Justin_Britton twitter

#13 Ryan

Ryan
  • 766 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:56 AM

For those of you that wear the Nike+ Sportwatch GPS, I'm assuming most of you don't wear Nike shoes, where do you keep the foot pod?

• Brianna likes this

Ryan J. Scarpelli

The Running Forum

#14 Andrew Keresztes

Andrew Keresztes
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:12 AM

I bought my watch at Dick's and looked around there for a container for it. It was like $10 if I remember right, and is supposed to fit keys or the shoe-pod. Easily attaches to the shoe with Velcro around the laces and doesn't bother me at all, except maybe when I have to relace the shoes if they get too tight.

#15 Runnersphere

Runnersphere
  • 20 posts
  • Team: High School XC/Track

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:43 AM

I train In Asics so I cut this whole in the tongue of the shoe to fit the sensor. It works fine and it doesn't bother me. When it's a race, I just use GPS signal and not sensor
•Follow me on twitter @Runnersphere •

#16 thecyclops

thecyclops
  • 347 posts
  • Team: Team Krop

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

Garmin 404...Love the watch but when it gets wet/sweaty it tends to act up a bit.Not just me,several reviews say the same thing.Probably will get another before summer.

#17 TheVespa

TheVespa
  • 255 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

I am a bit old fashioned  :lol:  I'm wearing a Garmin Forerunner 205 from more than 5 years! It is working perfectly even now, I love it! the signal is perfect, also under the forest during the trails. 

I made a lot of workouts with it, i have lost the count  :D thousands of km!

PS: before I bought the Garmin, I used the Nike+ band for at least 1 year. It was not exact like the Garmin, but it had not the gps... anyway I like it, but when I started running uphill the mountains, I needed a GPS!

Edited by TheVespa, 01 April 2013 - 06:56 AM.

• Brianna likes this

"Be patient with yourself: the trail you run on was not built in a day."

Add me on Facebook! => Andrea Venturini

and Twitter => Ventu_Ius
=)

#18 Brianna

Brianna
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

I am a bit old fashioned  :lol:  I'm wearing a Garmin Forerunner 205 from more than 5 years! It is working perfectly even now, I love it! the signal is perfect, also under the forest during the trails. 

I made a lot of workouts with it, i have lost the count  :D thousands of km!

PS: before I bought the Garmin, I used the Nike+ band for at least 1 year. It was not exact like the Garmin, but it had not the gps... anyway I like it, but when I started running uphill the mountains, I needed a GPS!

Good to know they last that long!

Follow Me @SeeBriRun

The Running Forum

#19 KyleKranz

KyleKranz
  • 491 posts
  • Team: Team SKORA
  • Event: Ultra Marathon

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

I like my old Suunto T4C with the footpod. Compared to most GPS's, there's no wait time, no losing a signal, the battery lasts for hundreds of hours, it's not bulky, and looks like a pretty nice regular watch!

599709_590855640941868_1073503300_n.jpg

Edited by KyleKranz, 01 April 2013 - 07:59 PM.

• TheVespa likes this

Runner & Online Coach at KyleKranz.com

Social Media Coordinator at skorarunning.com

#20 Brianna

Brianna
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

I like my old Suunto T4C with the footpod. Compared to most GPS's, there's no wait time, no losing a signal, the battery lasts for hundreds of hours, it's not bulky, and looks like a pretty nice regular watch!

599709_590855640941868_1073503300_n.jpg

Never heard of this company.  I'm going to check it out! Thanks for sharing, Kyle.

Follow Me @SeeBriRun

The Running Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Donate towards my web hosting bill!